[SWLUG] Technical Meeting Announcement and Call for Papers/Talks

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Thu Apr 9 07:36:41 UTC 2009

> Paul Connell wrote:
>> Matthew,
>>
>> I'm more than ready to jump into the breech - I've got a presentation
>> all ready and lined up - although I've not got the hang of whizzy
>> transitions - I assume you'll have a full sound system so I can get my
>> slides to 'ping' and 'swoosh' into place?
>>
>> I would add to the wiki but have not a clue how to use it - most
>> unfriendly piece of software - so I resorted to the next least worst
>> thing - mailing list.
>>
>> Paul Connell
>

> Heh.  Well to be honest I'm not 100% I'm going to have a projector, but
> I have two leads on that front, so we'll see.
>
> So far we've got 1 talk 100% confirmed and 2 others which I'm just
> waiting on a final call on topics before I put them down.  Also, to show
> people how not to do it I plan on doing a short talk on summat.
>
> Just to clarify a few things and hopefully tempt a few more of you into
> talking, I'd like to stress the following:
>
> I'd mentioned filming some talks, that is not at all certain as I've got
> to borrow a DV camera.  If it does go ahead and you don't want to be
> filmed, I won't film you, it's not an issue and I won't hold anything
> against you.
>
> The audience is a wide one so all and any subjects are welcome.  Don't
> worry if you don't think it's suitable, the more the merrier.  Length
> wise you can do a 5 minute lightning talk (if a few people want to do
> them, I'll put them all together) all they way up to 30 mins or more,
> just let me know what you want to do.
>
> If you're stuck for subjects here are some ideas:
>
> Hardware project write-up/how-to: got a mythTV box?  built and run your
> own server?  run some squid boxes, got a beagle board?  Do a talk on
> what you did and how you did it, round up with a list of pros/cons,
> prices and how you'd do it better
>
> Linux/Unix news: Do you follow all the technical blogs and mailing
> lists?  Know what new and interesting developments are coming up over
> the next 6 months in the kernel/filesystems/distros/xorg/programming
> languages etc etc, then do a talk, keep us all informed!
>
> Program overviews:  Know loads about a certain program?  Think it's a
> killer app?  Share your knowledge with us!
>
> Programming/Web Dev:  anything really, intros to languages, ideas on
> cool programs you can do with new features, installing cool web apps,
> themeing stuff.
>
> Graphics and music:  GIMP guru?  great with jokosher?  show us how with
> a short tutorial on creative stuffs.
>
> Hopefully that'll get some of you thinking.
>
> Projector - I'm still looking for one, please can you email me direct if
> you can help.
>
> Posters - I'm not that fussed, but will probably knock up one over the
> weekend.  Unless someone else wants to help?  Pretty please?
>
> Finally, does anyone have any experience of keysigning parties?  I'd
> really like to hold one at this meeting, but I've no idea how so if
> [...]

Oddly enough I looked up key signing last night and this seems an
excellent HOWTO -> http://linuxreviews.org/howtos/gnupg/signingparty/

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity
 Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)

A clear conscience? When did you acquire such luxuries, Bernard? (Sir
Humphrey, Yes Prime Minister)