[SWLUG] boot-up screen

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Sun Aug 2 14:15:45 UTC 2009

If the live-CD works fine then my first suspicion would be BIOS
configuration for antivirus protection - ie the BIOS is preventing the
new OS from setting Grub or lilo on the disk and so preventing you from
booting at all.

Different BIOS config systems have different settings that affect such
things (Phoenix, Award, Ami, HP, IBM, etc.). Have a scout around.
Usually the default doesn't enable such boot block protections so if you
can't find anything you could try resetting the BIOS before running the
install.

Are you saying that you've been through the install without issue and
only on reboot does it fail? Can you check with the live-CD and see if
the linux filesystem (and files) is present on the disk - this would
confirm something along the lines of what I'm suggesting.

Cheers

pbhj