[SWLUG] recommendations for a netbook...

Chris King swlug at csking.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 16:07:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, December 17, 2009 11:20, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 09:47 +0000, Mark Summerfield wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any recommendations for a netbook?
>>
>> - I'd prefer one with Linux preinstalled, but I've installed Linux on my
>>   other machines (which came with Windows), so one that is
>>   Linux-friendly is sufficient.
>
>> I did look at the Dell Mini 10v with 16GB SSD which looks good (with a 6
>> cell battery) at ~£300 incl.
>
> I can't comment on the mini 10v, but I love my mini 9. For web and email
> it has been great. The worst thing is the  battery life on the mini 9 is
> only about 4 hours.
>
> I have a friend who raves about the Samsung NC10 which gets him about 6
> hours of battery life although the downside is it runs XP.

I'll also wade in with a thumbs-up for the NC10 - it used to come with XP
Home SP3, but they're now shipping with Windows 7. I've run various Live
CD's on mine without any problems. Battery life is good (up to seven hours
depending on how you use it) and the screen and keyboard are superb. They
are more expensive than other netbooks, but it's a good little machine.

I brought mine to the last Technical Meeting in Swansea, and that was the
machine running the projector for the evening. It was on for the best part
of three hours, and still had more than 50% charge left at the end of the
event !

Chris

--
Chris King