[SWLUG] Not-for-profit formalisation?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jan 20 12:55:21 UTC 2009

On Tue Jan 20 11:17:27 2009, swlug at paulconnell.fastmail.fm wrote:
> Topic point!  Is there any interest in formalising the structure of
> the
> LUG?  I've looked at non-profit charity status and anything earned
> under £5,000 doesn't need to be registered as a charity - and it's a
> bit of
> a bloody grey area apparently - anybody on the list have any more
> experience of not-for-profit organisations?

Yes, my wife is the PTA chair for Natgaredig, and she managed the
move to a registered charity for that.

Unless we made revenues of more than £5000 - and we don't "do"
revenues, as such, unless you count the hosting costs - then it's not
worth the (rather large) paperwork of registering a charity.
Actually, if we did earn over £5000, I'd suggest we just avoided
doing so, rather than take on the burden.

That does mean there are various things we cannot do, but given we're
not doing any of them anyway, that's not a real problem.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/