[SWLUG] Netgear WG511v2 Wireless PCMCIA Card

Edward Evans eje at edevans.uklinux.net
Wed Jul 15 20:17:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:28:30 +0100
Jon Reynolds <maillist at jcrdevelopments.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just converted an old Dell laptop to Ubuntu. It does not have
> wireless built in but it has a Netgear WG511v2 PCMCIA card with it,
> which I am having difficulties using.
>
> I have got as far as:
> - Using ndiswrapper to install driver from CD that came with card
> - Using modprobe to enable it.
> - Added 'ndiswrapper' to /etc/modules so it starts the card everytime
>   now.
> - I can detect wireless networks, but if I try and connect it just drops
>   out instantly.
>
> I think (from comments) it is to do with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper
> drivers.

I had to download the Win drivers for my WG511 from the web, the ones on the CD didn't work at all, but I don't think this is your problem.  Sadly I have forgotten where I got them from.  Other random thoughts: Did you compile ndiswrapper from source?  The card should work on nonencrypted networks without wpa_supplicant, have you tried?  Is it really a networking problem - IP address, routing etc?  If you have been using wired connection it might still be trying to connect through ethx.

It took me a while to get my card working on an old IBM lappy, but now it works fine.

Edward
--
Edward Evans <eje at edevans.uklinux.net>