[SWLUG] Router/Firewall

Huw Lynes lynesh at Cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 12:52:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 13:16 +0100, Terry John wrote:
> I've got a standard Broadband/wireless router set up in a small
> establishment. Casual wireless users are encouraged. But I want to
> have a more secure wired connection to the same broadband connection.
>
> I could do it with a Linux PC with 2 ethernet cards using iptables as
> a firewall. This would give me a valid DHCP as well. The only problem
> is having to have the PC whirring away continuously with no obvious
> purpose. So I'm looking for a low power solution.

You might want to look at getting a linux-based router (e.g Linksys *L)
at putting something like the tomato firware on it. That would provide
you both the low power and the functionality that you are looking for.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

I haven't done this myself but I hear that it's a pretty simple process
these days.

Cheers,
Huw

--
Huw Lynes                       | Advanced Research Computing
HEC Sysadmin                    | Cardiff University
                                | Redwood Building,
Tel: +44 (0) 29208 70626        | King Edward VII Avenue, CF10 3NB