[SWLUG] Router/Firewall

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Jul 17 13:23:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 13:16 +0100, Terry John wrote:

> Is there a NAT type firewall similar to the std broadband router but
> using ethernet both ways or does anyone know where can I get a small
> low power box that I can configure myself.

That would be a "broadband router" rather than an "ADSL broadband
router" then.  the former being the type with ethernet for the wan port.
designed for use with cable modems. You see them on the shelf next to
the adsl ones, you just have to read the box carefully.

On a related note, if anyone has suggestions for a small quiet box with
two ether ports that can run linux i would like to hear them.  been
meaning to replace my current big noisy pc router.  I have seen many
suggested router/wifi boxes that can run linux distros, but they all
tend to have only the one ethernet, and no, usb is not reliable enough
as the other port.