[SWLUG] CUPS help

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jun 1 10:55:27 UTC 2009

> > just a quickie, anybody able to help with some CUPS queries?  I've
> > successfully added a HP Deskjet D2500 to my box via USB, but when
> > configuring CUPS and pointing a XP SP2 box at it, spoolsv.exe on the XP
> > box hangs.  This happens every time I try to install the CUPS-setup
> > printer.

make sure you dont have any iptables rules blocking it.

make sure the printer is actually set as shared.

i also seem to recall needing to uncomment a line or two in
the /etc/cups directory that mention application/octet-stream as the
windows drivers expected access to the raw printer device.

apart from that never had any trouble pointing various XP machines at
cups, just claim its an IPP device.