[SWLUG] new website

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 13:12:13 UTC 2009

Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 09:50 +0100, Paul Connell wrote:
>
>> As far as IRC, why not put a 'bot on the channel and let it record the
>> session and replicate it on the web?  I've been on several chans that do
>> that, and they say sunlight is the greatest disinfectant, you just have
>> to be careful what you say!
>>
> I bot is allright, including one that does exports its logs for the web.
> I don't think it is best for highlighting a particular conversation
> though. Or tagging it with something useful. Regardless how beautified
> it is it will remain a kind of a time-line. What I had in mind is more
> about extracting from the log really useful conversations.
>
> Personally, I do have an 'ideological' problem with logging everything,
> it smells too much as surveillance, and while this is definitely
> paranoid I would prefer a somewhat more discriminating solution.

No it isn't paranoid. Logging will effect how people behave. There are
certain things that
I will not say in a logged forum. I don't think it is an accident that
the first person to raise it
comes from Eastern Europe. There is far far too much surveillance in
Britain and it isn't a good thing
for democracy. Handing over power to authoritarians is not a good idea.