[SWLUG] new website

Emyr Derfel emyr42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:06:46 UTC 2009

All this talk of surveillance seems out of place. The purpose of an IRC log would be to allow advice on Linux given by one SWLUG member to another SWLUG member to be archived and rendered easily searchable for other SWLUG members.

If it worries you that much, access to the IRC log pages can be restricted to the "inner circle"; Drupal supports role-based permissions, and I run a Drupal site with a forum which relies upon these roles to keep our operational information secure. I'll post something on the beta site.

How about using tags in IRC: user one declares a session with a certain key (compare hashtags in twitterland) and declares logged or unlogged. He then invites other users to join this session by repeating the key. Unsessioned messages would need some default rule. Tag creator allows/denies join requests. I can develop the idea further but I don't know what IRC is actually capable of in this respect.

Emyr