[SWLUG] hopefully easy question: naming machines on a tiny network

Kris Zani kriszani at iscavision.com
Wed Jun 3 07:37:30 UTC 2009

Hi Mark

yup it is of course possible

in the router admin - probably web based you should be able to reserve
the DHCP lease - that is the "assignment of the ip" to the machine
 access the web admin - under dhcp you should see a list of current
leases and you can then (normally) tick a box like reserve.

alternatively, you can set each machine to run a static ip in a similar
range to the ones you have - but ideally outside of the dhcp lease block
which you will need to check the router admin to know.

in terms of using names the simplest way is to put a "hosts" file on
each pc.  The location is different for linux & windows dunno about
about mac osx
but wikipedia is king - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

it just lists ip addresses and names.  then when you try and communicate
like
ping mymacbox

it checks the hosts file to see if it knows the ip.

if you cant work it out msg back and i'll get  copy of the voyager
manual and perhaps i can then give you some more detailed instructions.

good luck

Kris