[SWLUG] hopefully easy question: naming machines on a tiny network

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 3 09:24:21 UTC 2009

On Wed Jun  3 07:31:15 2009, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> I have a BT Voyager router (a few years old) & 3 machines. The
> router
> always gives the machines the IP addresses 192.168.1.2,
> 192.168.1.3, and
> 192.168.1.4. But not always the same number to the same machine. Is
> it
> possible to tie each IP address to a particular machine (and
> ideally to
> use names)? Two machines run Linux the other Mac OS X.

As everyone else says, there's basically three options:

1) Don't use DHCP.

2) Use DHCP, but fix the IP addresses of each machine.

3) Use dynamic DNS.

I'd be inclined to see if you can persuade the Voyager to only use a
small range for DHCP, and then use the remainder for static IP
address setup - it's overall a far simpler solution, on a small
network.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/