[SWLUG] Fwd: Re: hopefully easy question: naming machines on a tiny network

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Wed Jun 3 18:22:14 UTC 2009

Just a quick follow-up:

- On Fedora I was able to add the host names via a GUI
  (System/Administration/Network)

- On Ubuntu I couldn't find a GUI so just manually edited /etc/hosts;
  the same on Mac OS X

- I used ifconfig to get the MAC addresses (HWaddr) on Fedora and
  Ubuntu; for Mac I when to "About this Machine" then asked for more
  info, then chose Network, then Ethernet and it specified the MAC
  address. I then added these to the Voyager's list of fixed IP
  addresses, rebooted the router and now I can do scp etc. using
  names:-)

Thanks!