[SWLUG] Ad-Hoc Wireless Network

Andrew Jenkins adjenkins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 20:47:10 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with either JoikuSpot or Walking Hot Spot?
Both these apps run on Nokia (Symbian based) smartphones. They allow you
to use the phone as a wireless access-point and then connect to it using a
laptop etc.

I'm trying to get somewhere with JoikuSpot. The app runs fine and anyone
using
Windows can connect without any problems.  The problem is with connecting
Linux. I've found reference to the Ad-Hoc connection that JoikuSpot
uses. It
seems this is causing the problem.  I'm trying to (unsuccessfully) connect:

HP laptop running Mandriva 2008 with an Atheros AR5006EG WLan card
Asus EEE 701 running Mandriva 2009 with a Realtek RTL8199 card.

Both these machines are used on a 'normal' house wireless network but
refuse to connect to Joiku. I can't set the mode of the Atheros card in
the HP
to 'Ad-Hoc' (using iwconfig), I think it's the limitation of the card
but I can set
the EEE's Realtek card to Ad-Hoc. It still won't connect though.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Regards,
Andy Jenkins.

Microsoft have broken Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
million bugs!