[SWLUG] Screen Resolution Problems

Phillip Evans phillip at phillipevans.mail1.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 23:02:15 UTC 2009

I have been following the above thread with interest as I have some
minor issues with screen resolution which are not a major problem but a
bit annoying.

Basically after installing Kubuntu 8.1 with KDE 4.2, I found that on
startup, the screen defaults to 1280 x 1024 whereas I had set it for
1024 x 768. All I have to do is open System Settings > Display > Close
and resolution magically returns to 1024 x 768 without having to alter
the resolution settings box which says default 1024 x 768 even when the
actual res is 1280 x 1024. On closing Systems Settings all is normal. I
recently upgraded to 9.04 and the problem persists.

I use an nvidia chipset which works perfectly with the Kubuntu supplied
180.44 driver, other resolutions if selected work perfectly, 3D desktop
effects are ok & there is no apparent instability in ant res. All except
this annoying startup situation. I wonder if this is a KDE problem as I
also have Ubuntu 9.04 on my system & this boots directly into 1024 x 768
without a problem.

Anyone any ideas ?

Phillip Evans