[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

Phillip Muldoon pkmuldoon at picobot.org
Thu Jun 18 07:38:43 UTC 2009

2009/6/17 Gerald Davies <gerald.davies at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 22:36, Chris Jackson<chriscf at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> install a better distro.  sorry, i know it's an awful joke, but i
> >> couldn't resist ;-)
> >
> > You forgot to include the definition of a "better distro", namely
> > "anything other than what you're already using".
> >

> Well, if it was RPM-based, it would be a variation of CentOS since i
> got bitten by a bug in Fedora years ago and won't forgive it.
> Anyway,...

You've got my curiosity going now. I normally don't participate in X is
better than Y distro talks, because I do not find them very productive. But
some points were raised:

Fedora 1 was released around about October 2003, so about 6 years.  I'm
curious to what bug shattered your confidence in it, all those years ago.
Bugzilla should still have it. Do you have a link or description?

> I use:
>
> Work: CentOS (desktop, servers, cluster), OSX (with X and macports) on
> laptop, Ubuntu & SuSE for other equipment.

CentOS is based on RHEL which in many ways is built from Fedora. What's the
difference here in your confidence level? What is the mitigating factor that
CentOS produces to provide you with a scenario where you can use it?

> i'm inclined to prefer apt over yum for package management. Even the
> iPhone/touch uses the apt package management on jailbroken models.

Again curious for the reasons. We've all read the explanations from the fans
of one over the eitther, and google is replete with long diatribes over
ports over apt over yum.  Even more than before as I just google'd the
differences ;) Still I'd like to hear your thoughts.

> Ubuntu has just seemed to be ahead of Fedora in terms of usability for
> years and seems to have less hassles with hardware (without it being
> user error).

You're going to have to qualify this statement, you knew it was coming. ;)
First, this presumes you've been running Fedora after all to make an
intelligent and thoughtful comparison.  And secondly the the distros are
built pretty much from the same software. One uses yum, one uses apt. They
use the same GNOME, KDE, Kernel bits. Pretty much the same development
tools, eclipse IDE, emacs, vi, inet tools, open office, firefox,
thunderbird, and other apps. As far as I can tell they are far more the same
than different. What usability deltas are you observing that puts this one
distro over another, especially as they are both on 6 month release cycles?
I could see perhaps the glimmer of a valid argument if it was Ubuntu versus
Debian stable. We have a large difference in release cycles there. Anyway
the perceived usability value  must be razor thin for such rapidly released
distributions.

> Answer your questions?

Only more questions ;)

Regards