[SWLUG] Fedora 11 es1371 borked sound

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jun 18 11:14:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Phillip Muldoon wrote:

> Just to nit pick on quoting, I did not say that ;)

Well your mail client doesn't seem to be prefixing quotes with ">" (or
indeed *anything*) so I honestly can't tell who said what.

> I really like them both, and they both have thier place.  I was curious
> to the nature of why replacing one with the other would solve a (this)
> problem. Does Ubuntu have a kernel with better sound drivers? Less buggy?

I wouldn't say that any distro is necessarilly "less buggy" than another,
just might have different bugs - they all patch the various packages
(including the kernel) in their own way, have code that hasn't gone
upstream yet (which may fix or introduce bugs), etc.

I think that trying various distributions is a fairly sensible approach, I
have seen plenty of bugs that are present in one distro but not another.
That doesn't mean you have to permanently switch distros - if it works in
another distro you can look at the differences and port the fix across.

  - Steve