[SWLUG] Technical Meeting 12th July 2009

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Jun 23 07:04:16 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-18, Matthew Moore wrote:
> Neil Greenwood wrote:
> > 2009/6/16 Matthew Moore <matt at matthewmoore.org.uk>:
> >> Until I've got some speakers (apart from me) I'm going to wait on doing
> >> the posters.
> >>
> >> On that point, I have two problems.  One, I'm struggling to get hold of
> >> a projector (Toby can't make this one) and Two, no one has put
> >> themselves forward for a talk yet.  Which is a bit worrying.  Coupled
> >> with the lack of feedback from my previous emails, I'm thinking that
> >> people might be on holiday/enjoying the summer and henceforth unable to
> >> come along.
> >>
> >> Obviously I don't want to cancel, but I'm not sure there's much point
if
> >> it's just going to be me doing a talk.  Any thoughts?  Anyone else want
> >> to do a talk? (anything welcome!).
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Matt
> >
> > I hope you don't cancel, since I've got a pass from my wife and can
> > actually make it this time!
> >
> > I'm not sure what I could talk about. Maybe I'll give a talk at the next
> > one!
>
> Well we currently have two (me and Neil) and maybe three in total.  If
> could bring it up to four I think that would be a decent number.
> Hopefully a few other people can do a short talk.  Any topic is welcome.

I could do a short talk, "Introducing Unicode" (which doesn't need a
projector, ~10-15 mins). But does everyone know the basics of Unicode
anyway these days?

_Or_ I could do "Introduction to the Fundamentals of GUI Programming"
(really need a projector, ~30 mins). I'd illustrate using PyQt but would
focus on the principles that pretty well any GUI toolkit will embody one
way or another so the ideas should translate well.

Do either of these appeal?

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy