[SWLUG] [Fwd: Anyone have one of the new Virgin modems]

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 14:03:35 UTC 2009

Matthew Moore wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>
>> repost of message originally sent an hour and a half ago.

Precisely Matt,

And I still haven't seen it.

Knowing the problems we have been having I thought It wise to mention it.
But I have this new modem which I would welcome advice on.
It should just slot into place. but as I am running a network off what
should be single computer I don't want to run into trouble,

They have offered me an upgrade I would not have bothered but there is a
really weird flaw on the
old modem.

It won't work if it is TOO COLD!

Seriously! I was getting intermittent trouble and I have the same
trouble with my set top box for the TV. I am going to get rid of the TV
box anyway soon.

I can fix it with a hairdrier! The set top box keeps saying the card
isn't in place so I reasoned it might be a contact problem related to
things shrinking in the cold.
When the modem started playing up in the same way I tried the same thing
and I have proved it.

I have had enough trouble getting the new modem delivered. Part of the
problem being UPS not ringing the door bell.
I simply cannot hear someone tapping on my door. reliably.

At least this time I got through to someone at Virgin who has some
brains. You usually get through to someone in India.
Some of the Indians are not particularly fluent in English. You can test
this by seeing if they act like language learners behave to
strange words. As someone who has studied quite a few languages I make
sense from context.
You can test this with the Indians by sprinkling a set of Welsh words
into the middle of the sentence.
You know they won't understand but they frequently act as if they do.
Cruel I know but effective!

I like to know a bit of the local language for where I travel. Given as
a wildlife enthusiast I may be doing strange things it helps.
It is also nice, for example to be able to impress attractive polish
ladies with /W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie

/In Szeczebrzesyn a beetle buzzes in the grass. It is a fiendish tongue
twister that they have extreme difficulty saying themselves.
It is as bad as it looks.

Neil