[SWLUG] kubuntu 8.10 and Nvidia GE Force 6200 (PCI)

Mark Henderson mark at standardblue.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 09:01:27 UTC 2009

On 18 Mar 2009, at 08:43, Stephen wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I am very likely to purchase this graphics card as a way of overcoming
> the limitation of only 8MB system RAM allocated to my onboard graphics
> card and because the BIOS does not allow me to allocate more.
>
> The ubuntu website has stated that the package I need is nvidia-glx.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge of this graphics card ?
>
> Hope to hear
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I have a 6200 card, which I installed in my system a few months ago.
It's the AGP version I have (it's a Misco Saver brand) but it does all
I need it to. I'm running Slackware 12.0 and although there's an
available open source driver built into Slack, I've always found it
best to download and compile the one from the NVidia website for
NVidia cards as it's a lot easier to configure X, imx. nvidia-glx must
be the open source driver for the 6200. The only trouble is that the
NVidia-supplied driver is closed-source, so it does 'taint' your
kernel in terms of openness, if that's an issue for you.

Hope this helps,
Mark