[SWLUG] Is this working?

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed May 27 17:58:35 UTC 2009

Dick Bain wrote:
> 2009/5/27 P.G. Richardson <p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk>:
>
>> np ;)
>>
>> --
>>
> Well this arrived at 9:53 according to gmail :D

The time of sending is encoded into the headers and email reading
programs use it. The message to which I am responding is timestamped
14:57.and it shows this time in my mailbox. I suspect gmail does the same.
 However the headers show it arriving at my isp for me to access it at
15:32 And what is more I noticed it because at this time I was dealing
with someone over the phone and by email to sort something out so I
have  other emails that I know I downloaded as soon as they arrived at
my ISP because I was told verbally precisely when they were sent.
I had one at 15:30 and one at 15:39 when I accessed the second  your
message arrived LATE!

Something is or at least was up because emails don't normally take more
than half an hour to propagate.The others I was dealing with over the
phone arrived virtually instantly.

Neil