[SWLUG] Screen resolution problems.

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 29 17:45:50 UTC 2009

On 29 May 2009 at 16:59, Davage, Marcus wrote:

> I've been living happily with Mandriva 2008, Ubuntu 8.04, Windows XP for
> about a year now.
>
> Decided to upgrade Ubuntu to 8.10, but it displayed my screen as 800x600
> instead of 1024x768.
>
> Tried upgrading to 9.04 after burning the install DVD. Same there.
>
> Tried re-installing to 8.04 with the original install DVD. Same again!
> Huh?
>
> Tried Upgrading Mandriva 2008 to 2009 - it borked.
>
> Tried installing Fedora 10 over my Ubuntu partition, and it too
> displayed my screen as 800x600 instead of 1024x768.
>
> At least when I installed Windows 7 rc, it recognised that I have
> 1024x768, even if it didn't recognise my ATI Rage 128+ video card.
>
> What is going on?
>
> Regards,
>
> Marcus Davage

I had problems with screen res in Ubuntu when I got my new PC with
an HP LCD and ATI graphics.  This was somewhere back in the
Ubuntu Feisty/Gutsy era.  Since then Xorg has become a lot cleverer
at detecting hardware, and it is Xorg that does the jobs.  It will be the
common denominator between Ubuntu and Fedora.

Of course Jaunty (9.04) does have a problem with the proprietry ATI
driver and cannot use it, but not a problem with 8.04 and 8.10.

I assume that you cannot change the screen res, i.e. 800x600 is the
only option.

Have a look at

and maybe

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-driver-
ati/+question/36486

and perhaps ask your own question in Ubuntu answers.

Tony