[SWLUG] how much more CPU performance can one get these days?

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Fri Sep 18 07:08:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

Short version:
    I have Linux 2.6 2GB RAM Dual Core Pentium D 2.8GHz
    What would I need to get 5x the CPU performance?

Long version:

    I sometimes have to run a program that starts by reading 5-50MB of
    data, then spends 12-15 minutes processing (no I/O, no graphics,
    pure CPU), then writes out a single 5-100MB output file.

    Unfortunately I need to run this program many times to tweak the
    input data to get exactly the output I want. So basically, it can
    take me a whole day.

    I bought my PC a few years ago and was wondering how much
    performance had improved in the meantime, and whether I could get a
    5x speedup without breaking the piggy bank.

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy