[SWLUG] how much more CPU performance can one get these days?

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Fri Sep 18 07:50:01 UTC 2009

On 2009-09-18, Iain Menzies-Runciman wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Having hit the limits of machines several times in the past you may need
> to change the problem.
>
> I would assume that you have already done the obvious and optimised the
> code you have (also assuming that you have the source code).

I have the source but it is C and complicated & I can't even think of
changing it. (Also the author is an expert on algorithms for intractable
problems so I doubt I could improve what he's done.)

> From the sounds of it, it is an iterative process, so just running the
> code on many machines at the same time would not help.

That's correct.

> Given that you are on a dual core, I am assuming that you are threading
> and make the most of each core.

I don't know for sure if it is threaded, but if I don't use nice it
manages to use 100% of CPU on my dual core.

> Can the code be parallelised and then split out onto multiple machines
> e.g. using something like PVM or MPI? If it can then you can get
> yourself a small cluster of cheap systems (e.g. 2nd hand systems at £50
> a pop - or if you are like most techies use some of the old systems that
> we have just lying around :-) ) and spread the load out onto a
> distributed cluster. I managed to get a task from 22 hours down to 45
> minutes - but that was PVM spread over 50 machines.

I wish... but there's no way of splitting it up.

I was really wondering if getting a modern 64-bit quad core would
actually make a significant difference.

Thanks.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy