[SWLUG] make annoyance

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Dec 21 09:59:14 UTC 2010

On Tue Dec 21 09:53:22 2010, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> But recently I've started to use recursive makefiles and _some_ of
> them
> output:
>
> make[3]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
> make[3]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to
> parent make rule.

There are many problems with recursive makefiles; this is one of them.

The top-level makefile is running 4 jobs. Each of those jobs, in
these cases, is a make all of its own. Make luckily knows this,
otherwise each of those makes would be running 4 jobs too - so you'd
have 16 jobs - and this would compound down the tree.

So there's nothing to fix, as such - Make has fixed it for you.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/