[SWLUG] Breadboarding Linux systems?

Toby Maxwell-Lyte toby.maxwelllyte at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 19:40:26 UTC 2010

2010/1/1 Philip Downer <phil at pjd.me.uk>

> I know a few folks have already mentioned things like gumstix and the
> NSLU2 but to my mind the gumstix is a bit expensive for small hobby
> projects and I'm not sure how much the NSLU2 costs, but for a really
> cheap solution that will run Linux you might want to take a look at the
> old Edimax router board as now sold by Omnima in the UK.
>
> http://www.omnima.co.uk/store/catalog/Embedded-controller-p-16140.html
>
> For less than 25 quid it's a nice solution, ok so you need to buy the
> extras like the reprogramming cable, case and psu but I think when I
> bought mine (it was slightly cheaper over a year ago) I got everything
> for under 30 quid.
>
> Phil

Along similar lines, I've just bought a plug computer.
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-25-sheevaplug-dev-kit-uk.aspx
It probably exceeds your price bracket but has an arm processor, comes with
Ubuntu installed. Ideal for an always on headless box since it only uses 8W.
Something else to consider is the beagleboard http://beagleboard.org/ if you
are interested in the ability to decode HD video as it has HDMI out. Neither
of these are build your own though...

Toby