[SWLUG] no subject

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 18:44:27 UTC 2010

On 29 Jan 2010 at 11:13, marcus.davage at googlemail.com wrote:

> Straw poll: What's the best webcam for use in Ubuntu Linux?
>
> Ta.

Best to go for a UVC (USB video class) webcam.  They work best, as
I know to my cost! I have three non UVC webcams and they need a
bit of messing around to get them working in everything.  Logitech
have a lot of cameras that work and some that don't!  So you cannot
just go on brand if you want an easy ride. Have a look at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

especially the link to

http://www.quickcamteam.net/devices

for Logitech webcams.

Also have a look at the SANE project for webcams that can capture
an image in the The GIMP and other programs that rely on SANE.

http://www.sane-project.org/

Almost all webcams work out of the box with Windows, but sadly not
with Ubuntu (or any Linux distro, for that matter).  That's because
Windows always relys on a CD with drivers and its irritating 'Found
new hardware' rigmarole.  Ubuntu (and other Linux distros) try to have
drivers for all devices available as loadable modules.

Tony