[SWLUG] Dell disappointment & no networking!

Daniel Morris danielm at iee.org
Thu Jun 10 13:41:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 02:16:36PM +0100, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a Dell Latitude 2110 netbook (ordered 1st June, arrived today)
> with Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> The machine was delivered with no OS at all and when I contacted Dell
> they said they had stopped supplying Ubuntu with this machine... I am
> sending in a written complaint of course, but meanwhile I'd like to see
> if it is possible to get the machine to work.
>
> I've installed Ubuntu desktop 10.04 from a USB stick. But the most
> important thing that isn't working is networking---not even from a wired
> connection:-(
>
> I have absolutely no idea even where to start with this... any
> suggestions welcome:-)

Did it come with a hardware diagnostics disk or image? I'd run that
first to validate the hardware.

I've been really pleased with the Dell (desktop/servers) that I've
bought over the years, and particularly their response when needing to
call on the onsite support.

However, the last machine had me scratching my head and turning in
circles for a couple of hours as I downloaded a fresh release, burnt
multiple copies (running out of blank DVDs in the process and having to
go shopping), validated media and finally failed to boot a rescue CD.
Each time the drive lights would blink, motors would whir and it would
fail to find an OS. It was easier to suspect bad or incompatible DVD
media than realise it was a h/w fault, as when I opened up the machine
it turned out that Mr Dell had forgotten to attach the *data* cable to
the DVD drive. Doh!

 Daniel