[SWLUG] Why I won't buy from Dell again...

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Jun 23 09:33:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Dick Bain wrote:

> I bought an Acer Aspire One with Vista installed but only use Ubuntu
> on it and everything "just works"

Conversely, I have an Acer TravelMate 6413 laptop.  The BIOS has a bug in
the DSDT that causes the fan to stay on when resuming from suspend.  I
debugged the problem, rewrote the offending DSDT code (which I compiled
into my kernel so that it patched the DSDT on boot).

I submitted a bug report to Acer with the fixed code attached and they
completely ignored my report - no acknowledgement at all and they haven't
released an updated BIOS to fix the problem.

Given that I basically did all their technical work for them and they
haven't even acknowledged the problem, I consider this to be pretty crappy
customer service.

Coupled with the fact that they flatly refused to give me a Windows
licence refund, and that the battery completely died after about a year
and they refused to replace it (I expect batteries to degrade over time,
but there's no way a battery should be completely dead after a year!) I
won't be buying Acer again.

--

  - Steve