[SWLUG] how does one create a *temporary* network proxy?

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Mar 2 08:41:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

Is there any nice _easy_ way in Linux to set up a temporary network
proxy with a host, port, username, and password?

Basically I want to create the proxy, run an app that is supposed to
work with a proxy (it has command line args for setting host, port,
username, and password), test that the app works, and then get rid of
the proxy.

But if there's no easy way, I'll ask a friend to do it for me:-)

Thanks!

PS I still haven't managed to get a new Linux-friendly PC:-( I've looked
at two Linux mags and neither had ads for PCs. I'll probably try
savastore.com (watford electronics) since they do DIY kits, if it turns
out that they do kits that are Linux-friendly.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy