[SWLUG] Perl/MySQL Problem

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 11:07:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 09:56 +0000, Terry John wrote:
>> I've upgraded my installation of MySQL which gave me a few problems
>> with Perl scripts. So I upgraded the DBD-mysql module. Unfortunately
>> the DBD-mysql insists on using /tmp/mysql.sock socket instead of the
>> one that that MySQL is configured for.
<snip>

>> Does anyone know any way of configuring/hacking/bullying DBD-mysql to
>> look in the right place for the socket.

> sounds like you went and installed a version that wasnt built for
> redhat, you really should try to stay on piste for your own sanity,
> theres plenty of alternate repositories that carry updates that the
> standard redhat dont.  e.g. rpmforge, freshrpms.  and theres
> rpm.pbone.net to help search for suitable rpms.
>
> but anyway, from the DBD::Mysql manual
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/lib/DBD/mysql.pm#Class_Methods
>
> Connect string options
>
> mysql_socket - As of MySQL 3.21.15, it is possible to choose the Unix
> socket that is used for connecting to the server. This is done, for
> example, with mysql_socket=/dev/mysql

Yes saw that. It would need to be done in every perl script and there
are dozens of them. I'm always nervous using RPM's in case I end up in
dependancy hell. In fact the upgrade was part of a bigger project to
upgrade Apache, PHP and MySQL. Long story but Apache had to be done from
source. PHP needed source files from MySQL for the --with_mysql option.

Thanks for the info on RH rpms I'll take a look.

Terry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/