[SWLUG] lost and got back CUPS then cannot reinstall driver

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 09:13:29 UTC 2010

On 14 March 2010 17:13, Stephen Constantinou <stephanos at writeme.com> wrote:
>[snip]
> Now I am baffled, that two identical versions of CUPS from the same
> distribution, Kubuntu 9.04, can have differing driver options.
>
> On the PC and laptop I have tried to update the cups package using
>   sudo apt-get cups
> but I am using the latest version?

You can use the 'apt-cache policy <packagename>' command on the two
separate machines to find out which versions of a package are
available in the repositories.

It might be that one of the machines has e.g. multiverse disabled, or
you might have an extra non-Ubuntu repository configured. The command
I mentioned can help pin down the differences in versions.

If you have trouble interpreting the output (it is a bit on the
cryptic side!), reply and someone here should be able to help.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.