[SWLUG] Recommendations for a router?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 14:02:43 UTC 2010

On 19 May 2010 14:04, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 4 year old BT Voyager 2110 ADSL router with 4 physical
> network connections & wireless.
>
> I've been having some reliability issues lately. I don't _think_ it is
> my ISP (plus.net), so I think that maybe the router is on its last legs?
>
> Can anyone recommend a replacement? One think I like about the Voyager
> is that I can connect to it using a web interface (i.e., on Linux using
> Firefox) to control it without needing e.g., a Windows-specific CD.

I think all modern ones will have web interfaces now.  I have had no
problems with various Linksys units over a number of years.  One thing
that I would look for in a new one is the ability to specify fixed ip
addresses for dhcp connected devices (based on mac addresses).  This
allows each pc to have a fixed ip address (which is useful for ssh)
without the hassle of configuring the PC with fixed ip.

Colin