[SWLUG] Recommendations for a router?

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Thu May 20 06:28:30 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-19, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 19:40, Edward Evans <eje at edevans.uklinux.net>
wrote:
> > Bit late with this but it might be useful to know that my otherwise
> > excellent Netgear DG834G has blown up two power supplies, probably
> > because of switching it on and off too often.
>
> that's not uncommon IME. i've seen belkin (or bunkin as we like to
> call them) do that - they're notorious for the power supplies simply
> melting, which inspires confidence in their testing procedures.
>
> as someone said earlier - it's personal choice.  i wouldn't
> immediately go for netgear, but would read reviews of current routers
> on the market, etc. that said, i do that with everything.

I didn't have time to shop around---I need to be online to work.

In the shop they had shelves of Belkins, but only three netgear (& none
of the other brands that people had mentioned favourably). So I got the
netgear one.

The netgear 1000-N 150 has a "setup wizard" that only needed me to give my
username & password for the ISP---it did everything else, so that was
good:-) Basically everything just worked. What I haven't tried --- and
won't for another month when I have more time --- is setting up the
wireless...

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy