[SWLUG] Web Browser - Firefox Extension Onscreen Keyboard

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Nov 1 13:35:16 UTC 2010

On Mon Nov  1 13:06:15 2010, Chris King wrote:
> On Mon, November 1, 2010 12:30, Dave Cridland wrote:
> > They've posted to IETF lists, including lobbying the IDNA group to
> > proscribe 'K' from all domain names (yes, including the "uk"
> ccTLD).
>
> Various standards bodies would love that, given that the ISO 3166
> country
> code is actually "GB". (JANET started all that "UK" malarkey, back
> in the
> days when NRS [1] roamed the earth and machine names were the other
> way
> round, e.g. UK.AC.CF.THOR)

Good old Rainbow. (I work for Isode as my day job, and we're the
mutant offspring of the quipu and pp projects that came out of that
era - astonishingly, some of that code still exists).

But in any case, the GB vs UK debate rages on in both ISO and the
TLDs, and ".gb" remains reserved. Not that either will ever change,
of course.

> > I suspect if there's any uptake, it'll be spammers using the new
> > replacement symbol to bypass word filtering.
>
> Malware and phishing scammers already make use of Punycode domains
> [2].

Hence, in part, the replacement IDNA spec. Note that it's not
Punycode itself that causes the problems, but the relatively
unfettered character choices that one can make.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/