[SWLUG] Kindle Warning?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Nov 16 15:33:48 UTC 2010

On Mon Nov 15 13:09:10 2010, Neil Jones wrote:
> But one little piece of the terms and conditions really alarms me
> " solely for your personal, non-commercial use."

Right... I suspect that means that you can't directly make money out
of it.

> Even if you think you have a definition it might
> be up to a court to decide on it. So you can read a book at home
> but not
> use the knowledge gained in work?

Ah. Well, firstly, that's very unlikely to be the intent or the
interpretation.

Secondly, even if it went to court, Amazon would not only have to
convince a judge (and possibly jury) that this was the only
interpretation, but also that you had in fact done so - that is, your
knowledge gained had been solely due to a book you read on a Kindle
and nowhere else.

That seems like a tricky thing to prove - indeed, companies trying to
restrict fields of endeavour for ex-employees have had the same basic
problem, and that one has very specifically been thrown out of court.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/