[SWLUG] Mobile internet & printers - need hardware recommendations

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 12:49:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 08:59, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> 3 do a little 3G-enabled portable WiFi access point, which removes
> any need to worry about tethering your phone, even assuming the
> device you're using supports it. I've used a friend's, even though I
> don't own one myself, and it seems reasonable, fairly cheap to run,
> and lasts for good while on the battery. (I don't know what to feed
> it; I imagine µUSB but it's just a guess)

I have a Huawei E220, E5830, E585 all from Three.

E220 works, or did work - haven't used it in a *long* time since
buying the WIFI supporting dongles,
E5830 is much more useful (WIFI or 'MIFI' as they like to call them).
supports 5 devices, firewall, encryption, mac address filtering, etc.
E585 is better again - the display on the E5830 is quite poor in
comparison (was a big criticism) and battery life is allegedly better.

Unlocked both the E220 and E5830 with: http://www.dc-unlocker.com/
Flashed the firmware on the E5830 from: http://netvigatoreverywhere.com/