[SWLUG] Mobile internet & printers - need hardware recommendations

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Nov 19 17:25:16 UTC 2010

On Fri Nov 19 17:15:07 2010, Philip Barnes wrote:
> I primarily use my mobile (N95) connected through bluetooth to use
> mobile broadband.

In general, a 3G connection is a lot faster than bluetooth - it's
well worth using a cable over bluetooth now.

> The wifi devices look like a good idea if you intend to use it as a
> your
> primary internet connection, but if you want it to use on trains, in
> cafes and when out and about, then a dongle or mobile phone is the
> way
> to go.

I've used one of the "MiFi" things in a car, quite happily. I'm sure
it'd be fine on a train or wherever - in fact, I suspect it'd be
useful with a wifi-capable phone as a way of extending battery life.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/