[SWLUG] In a bind with DNS

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 11:13:59 UTC 2010

  I have tried googling to very little avail. I am sure someone here
will know the answer straight away.

I have a new virtual server straight out of the box. To start i am
configuring Bind. which is living up to its name!

Iit used to be that I would look at the etc/named.conf file which would
have all its little database files in /var/named/

Now I cannot find what is where.
named.conf seems to be here but it certainly doesnt look  like it should.

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/named.conf:

the messages file says it si running of a file called
/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf
  which has an include to
   named.rfc1912.zones

but I still don't really know where the zone files are

this is a locate on one of them

/usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.2/sample/var/named/named.broadcast
/var/named/named.broadcast
/var/named/chroot/var/named/named.broadcast

is DNS chrooted by default on this system? It is a new redhat system of
some kind.

Where do the zone files go?

If anyone can help or point to a decent up to date guide on the web I'd
really appreciate it.

Neil