[SWLUG] SVN Setup

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Tue Sep 14 22:52:42 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I am having some trouble setting up subversion properly it seems and am
looking for some advise.

I have been using subversion with some basic success for a while now. I
can create repositories and use them to control a bunch of files.

For example, I create a repo: svnadmin create /home/me/svn/repos/myrepo

I then check it out: svn co file:///home/me/svn/repos/myrepo

Then in my working copy of myrepo, I can add files and dirs and svn add
them then svn commit them no problem.

The problem I have come up against now is the use of trunk and branches
and tags.

I understand (I think) the concept of trunk being the working copy and
whenever nevcessary, adding a copy of trunk into tags as a 'snapshot'.

So svn copy trunk tags/v1 for example.

But I am not sure if I am setting it all up right. If I just create
these dirs in myrepo: svn mkdir trunk branches tags, then commit them I
believe I should be able to then just check out the trunk, or tags/v1
but I cannot.

If I try svn co file:///home/me/svn/repos/myrepo <tab><tab> I just get
the svn auto-generated stuff showing up, no sign of trunk or tags etc.

How do I get to checkout just trunk or tags/v1?

At the moment, all I can do is check out myrepo which brings everything
within: trunk, branches and tags, which is no good if you had lots of
branches and tags when all you want to do is work on trunk.

Not sure if it is the way I am driving svn or maybe the way it is
configured on my server or something.

Hopefully someone can shed some (obvious) light on this for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Jon Reynolds

(j0nr)