[SWLUG] SVN Setup

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Wed Sep 15 08:57:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:43:49AM +0100, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 23:52 +0100, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am having some trouble setting up subversion properly it seems and am
> > looking for some advise.

<snip>

> > But I am not sure if I am setting it all up right. If I just create
> > these dirs in myrepo: svn mkdir trunk branches tags, then commit them I
> > believe I should be able to then just check out the trunk, or tags/v1
> > but I cannot.
<snip>

> > If I try svn co file:///home/me/svn/repos/myrepo <tab><tab> I just get
> > the svn auto-generated stuff showing up, no sign of trunk or tags etc.
i<snip>

> > At the moment, all I can do is check out myrepo which brings everything
> > within: trunk, branches and tags, which is no good if you had lots of
> > branches and tags when all you want to do is work on trunk.

<snip>

> and for creating the directories.
>
> first checkout your empty repo,
> then cd into it and:
> mkdir Trunk Branches Tags
> svn add Trunk Branches Tags
> svn commit
>
> you can then if you really want just checkout .../myrepo/Trunk
> to get only the trunk directory.

<snip>

Thanks for the reply Justin,

What you have described is exactly what I have done. This is is where my
problem starts. Below are the steps I performed:

    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~$ svnadmin create testrepo
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~$ svn co file:///home/jonr/testrepo/ wiptestrepo
    Checked out revision 0.
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~$ cd wiptestrepo/
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~/wiptestrepo$ mkdir trunk branches tags
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~/wiptestrepo$ svn add trunk/ branches/ tags/
    A         trunk
    A         branches
    A         tags
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~/wiptestrepo$ svn commit -m 'test'
    Adding         branches
    Adding         tags
    Adding         trunk

    Committed revision 1.
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~/wiptestrepo$ cd
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~$ rm -rf wiptestrepo/
    jonr at jcrdevelopments:~$ svn co file:///home/jonr/testrepo/<tab><tab>
    README.txt  conf/       dav/        db/         format      hooks/
    locks/

As you can see when I try to check out trunk by tabbing after the name
of the top level of the repo (testrepo) I just get shown the svn
generated files and dirs.

This is where I am confused.

Cheers,

Jon Reynolds