[SWLUG] Linux mobile broadband advice please

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Aug 2 09:18:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:28:34 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 1 August 2011 16:10, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> > Thanks for the comments so far.
> >
> > Plus.net are still saying 48-72 hrs before it'll be looked into.
> > (They said the same last Thu and Fri, and now today:-(
>
> Do you have a friendly neighbour with internet connection (that is
> still working)?  If so then you could possibly connect to his wifi (if
> you and he have wifi capability), or get a long ethernet cable and run
> it across the garden into his router.  Then when his connection is
> down you can return the favour.

I do have friendly neighbours but the signal strength of their wireless
is too weak at my house (isn't that good in theirs!), although we did
try that.

Fortunately my broadband started working just before 09:00 this morning
although Plus.net didn't (and hasn't) told me that it has been fixed.

I'm going to see if I can find a mobile broadband supplier who covers my
area so that I can at least have a backup system. (I wish I could use
the mobile broadband WiFi thing from Three, but maybe other vendors have
them and also cover my area.)

Thanks for this and the other replies!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy