[SWLUG] Mobile broadband - can I make one machine feed the others?

Chris Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:43:21 UTC 2011

On 16 August 2011 15:59, Sam Radion <sam at samradion.co.uk> wrote:

> So if you pay for a month's access to a gym to you expect to go back three
> months later and say "I only used the first two weeks"
>
> You are not buying a product, you are buying a time period of access with a
> maximum amount you can use in that time. Even the companies like vodafone
> still give you a maximum time to use your access, it's just a lot longer
> than three (and costs more accordingly).

I think the observation was that most people's initial understanding
of PAYG is that any credit you buy will still be there when you come
to use it (subject to Rule 7), and it won't arbitrarily expire some
time after purchase.  It's certainly the case with talk time on my
Orange phone - any expiry is tied to the time I last used the phone,
not the time I bought the credit.  Evidently, I'm not the only person
who would find it odd if bandwidth credits didn't work in the same
way, especially since bandwidth is not a perishable good.

--
Chris Jackson