[SWLUG] kernel "screen of death"

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Mon Dec 5 12:23:54 UTC 2011

On 5 December 2011 08:04, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Twice in the past week my computer has failed to boot first time. Seems
> to go wrong when doing USB-related stuff.
>
> I reset it and so far it has always booted second time. But when I do
> dmesg I get the message for the boot I've just done, not the failure
> boot, so I can't tell you why it failed! Is it possible to get the
> previous boot message?
>
> Thanks!

If you're using a distribution that sets a booting script (e.g. Ubuntu,
Fedora) disable that (remove splash from line in grub, I think) and also
remove the quiet option while you're at it.
If the machine is rebooting straight away after a panic, set panic=30 as a
boot option.
You may also get more information if you put debug as an option.
Try these options by edit the config in grub at boot time first to make
sure they don't stop the system booting completely. If that works ok make
them a perminant changes in grub. e.g for Ubuntu:

Edit /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="panic=30 debug"

# sudo update-grub