[SWLUG] kernel "screen of death"

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 5 16:12:28 UTC 2011

On 5 December 2011 14:26, Tony Pursell <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Crashes certainly are not unusual for me :-(  I recently upgraded from 1GB
> of original HP memory (which I found no fault with in memtest) to 2GB of
> Crucial memory (which I haven't memtested yet).  I have got the side panel
> off the PC (for no particular reason - I just forgot to put it back when I
> put the new memory in) so overheating is probably not a problem.  I'm no
> expert, but it could be a problem with the 3D Unity graphics or the open
> source Radeon graphics you have to use with 3D Unity.
>
> Anyway, I'm not looking for help to stop the crashes.  I'm more interested
> in how I might capture more information to feed the bug I've reported
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/886706).  I can live
> with the crashes, but it does not help the wider promotion of Ubuntu (in
> particular) and Linux (in general) if this sort of thing is happening.  I
> think there is some information, on how to capture information, later in
> this thread.

Since you have confirmed in the bug that it happens with Unity 3D but
not 2D then you could add Unity to the 'affects' setting in the bug.
That may get it more attention (or at least different attention).
Presumably you don't see anything useful in .xsession-errors.  It
might also be worth amending the bug description to make clear that it
is likely a graphics issue and include the graphics card info and so
on in the text to that launchpad searches will find it.

Colin