[SWLUG] smtp authentication

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 03:34:54 UTC 2011

not a linux question per se, but i require knowledgable people :)
my local freecycle group uses yahoo groups which now insists that all mail go
via an authenticated smtp server, so i set up to use my isp (virgin) server
and authenticated with my virgin username, that part was fine, but yahoo
promptly bounced the message back becasue the virgin server had replaced the
'from' address with my virgin address - which i never ever use to send mail -
and thus the message to the group came from an address that wasn't registered
to the group.
is this rewriting of addresses normal when sending via an authenticated smtp
server? if not then i can look at working around it, if it is then either i
start using my isp email address or kiss goodbye to the group,

bascule
--
'The gods,' he said. 'Imprisoned in a thought. And perhaps they were never
more than a dream.'