[SWLUG] smtp authentication

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 22:46:51 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 13 December 2011 07:49:41 Matt Willsher wrote:
> They may not be rewriting it.  It's just that your email address is
> coming from a server that hasn't been designated as a carrier for it.
> I think they're using DKIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKIM) which
> you can set up in your own domain. You might want to confirm this is
> the case before deciding what to do next.
well since i originally posted i've been playing :) i decided to log on to
vigin webmail to look for a setting of some sort and guess what i found:
bleedin' googlemail is virgin webmail, and it is a feature of googlemail that
all from addresses are rewritten unless you specifically add the different from
address to a list for that acount.  it seems that by using smtp.ntlworld.com
as neil does - and as i've always done - the message gets sent unchanged, but
the server does not seem to support authentication, but when i used
smtp.virginmedia.com (or smtp.virgin.net) i was ablt to authenticate but then
the mail got rewritten
my guess is that smtp.ntlworld.com is old enough to have nothing to do with
google and the others are all google'ified, it isn't possible to even add a
domain name with a wild card before it as a permitted from address -  and i
have more than one domain name!
what i don't understand is how yahoo know that i've authenticated to the
virgin server in the first place, i can't see anything in the headers (which
can of course be forged) to indicate this. so perhaps it is a DKIM thing for
the from address and not authentication to the mail relay that yahoo really
care about, since my isp is virgin i don't have another smtp server i can use
authentication with to test this,
as it is this justifies my having my own postfix server all along, since virgin
are apparently slowly moving towards forcing authentication for everyone
sending mail and i'm always using a different email address for different sites
i'll try to set up a transport in postfix just for the odd email address that
fails, in this case to use gmail and authenticate for the freecycle group
address since it just so happens that my freecycle group address is a gmail
one! :)
i'm not one to consider google a deliberate conspiracy to take over the world
or anything, but i would like to have a situation where all my mail wasn't
sent via a worldwide organisation with issues about retention and ultimately
subject to the us patriot act and similar, which with virgin smtp
authentication would seem to be the result - address rewriting aside!

bascule
--
"...in your face eternal confinement!"