[SWLUG] smtp authentication

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Dec 14 10:06:04 UTC 2011

On 13/12/11 22:46, bascule wrote:

> what i don't understand is how yahoo know that i've authenticated to the
> virgin server in the first place, i can't see anything in the headers (which
> can of course be forged) to indicate this.

AFAIK they don't.  Yahoo have a whitelist of servers that are allowed to
send to them (or maybe a blacklist of servers that aren't allowed to
send to them).  In general, it is an almighty pain if Yahoo decide that
they don't want to hear from your SMTP server because (in my experience)
they won't tell you why they have blacklisted it and you go through hell
to actually get someone to respond intelligently instead of just
responding with form replies that don't actually help.  Doing domain
keys on your SMTP server does help though.

Unfortunately it also only takes one idiot customer who decides to send
spam(*) through my SMTP server and I end up back at square one trying to
get it whitelisted on the likes of Yahoo and AOL again.

(* marketing departments of all sorts of companies forever seem to fail
to understand that automatically subscribing everyone who's ever shown
the vaguest interest in their products to their mailing lists is
illegal, will end up with the SMTP server blacklisted and is a breach of
their contract with me.  Unfortunately, the first I know that one of my
customers has been a moron is when all the other customers start
complaining that mails to yahoo et al are bouncing).

--

  - Steve