[SWLUG] Cardiff Meeting this Wednesday

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Thu Feb 3 20:07:24 UTC 2011

On 03/02/11 16:48, Ian Hill wrote:
> On 3 February 2011 16:40, Telsa Gwynne<hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk>  wrote:
>> No reason other than that, and it's entirely possible that if
>> someone suggests.. I dunno, Starbucks, or a university room, or
>> (um.. um..) something, a whole host of people will turn up.

I'm happy either way.  Pub or starbucks.  Starbucks do seem quite keen
on having groups using them as a meeting place.  It does seem however
that the Cardiff meet is going the way of the Swansea one.  I'm not sure
that more than one or two people have turned up to the last few meets.
I don't know if people are interested in LUGs these days.  Is it just
something people aren't interested in.  I was vaguely thinking we could
have a one off Swansea meeting sometime soon if people are interested.

Paul - Just to make this clear, if you want the kind of LUG you've
talked about wanting, you're the person who can make that happen.  If
you want to run a series of technical meetings like I did, then just do
it.  That's pretty much what I did and most people seemed to like that.
  Justin has it right on the nose.  If you or anyone else wants to
organise a technical meeting/talks etc, just do it.  As long as you
aren't a complete plonker when organising it, I'm sure no one will mind.
  If you need to hire a room etc, then I'm sure people won't mind paying
a few quid to cover that.  I reckon there is enough interest in the LUG
for about 4 talks a year.

We have a great group of people in the LUG and we've had some good talks
in the past.  Personally I'm not that massively interested in organising
talks at the moment.  I would probably come along to some if someone
organised some.  I might even be willing to do a talk.  But if you want
one about mythTV, then it'll be one slide saying:

"Don't bother, get a PS3 instead, it's much less faff"

Matt