[SWLUG] Meeting/Cyfarfod << Caerfyrddin / CD writung

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Feb 14 09:55:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 09:10 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 14 February 2011 00:29, ilyan <ilyan.thomas at virgin.net> wrote:
> > THanks Colin,
> >  it did produce a viable CD at 15 instead of 40.   Perhaps I should get
> > a new disc writing software, the one I have does not seem to pull data
> > from a flash drive,   Had to put it on the desktop for it to work.    I
> > seem to have two different programs available, and I am wondering if
> > they might foul each other in someway.

multiple burning programs will not interfere with each other, unless
your running more than one at the same time, they all tend to be front
ends to the same commandline utilities anyway.

I tend to favour using k3b to burn cd/dvd images, technically its a kde
program but it works under gnome on most systems.

It may be worth checking that 'burnfree' (aka burn proof) is enabled if
your drive supports it.

In there  Settings -> Configure K3b

The 'Devices' tab should show your drive, and will list what
capabilities it has and wether it supports burnfree or not.

The 'Advanced' tab has a tickbox to 'use burnfree'

If your drive still spits out coasters even with burnfree on, or of it
just doesnt support it, then you'll have to limit the maximum speed you
write at. As it could be the drive or the media you've bought just can't
do it any faster